Friday, January 23, 2009


My GreatGrandfather-

This painting was taken from my sketch book. I drew this a couple of years ago, but finished it this morning.

This is a painting of my Great grandfather (my mothers Grandfather, she lived with him and her Granny) taken in Pea Ridge Arkansas. My cousin Jerry and I were trying for years to find this house where the picture was taken. He finally found it but died before I had a chance to go with him there.

Three years ago after my parents past away, my sister and I decided to take a road trip to Arkansas and Kansas where our parents grew up. My sister located someone who lived in Arkansas and knew the man that now owns the property. He took us right to the house. It appeared just like my mother had talked about.

What a thrill that was, my mother had always kept a journal so I had read about this house (this was her aunt and uncles house, the house she lived in was torn down). My mothers journal told about her adventures as a teenager. It even told about the depression, and how they went to the bank and the bank had no money and how she would pick berries and gather eggs to sell. I have painted several paintings of past generations. The above picture is my sister in front of the house. Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Blogs by Sneaky Momma