Monday, February 9, 2009


I am reading the book "Mind of a Raven" Bernd Heinrich, If you are fascinated with birds you will love this book.
To the left is a painting I did a few years back, called "And So On". I live near the everglades and I love going there to watch the birds and this painting was inspired by watching them talk to each other.
I remember when I was very young going to Kansas to visit my Grandparents and my Dad pointing out a birds nest way up in the biggest tree in the world and thinking that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Being raised in Miami back when I was very young we didn't have so many trees in our development. I think after that trip, my parents decided to raise Parakeets as a side business. My Dad built a CBS house in the back with nesting boxes and it acually had a screened in aviary on the side. I remember looking in the nesting boxes and seeing the babies. My Mother always had bird seed in her pockets, always was one of our family jokes, that when she went to the hospital to have my sister she had the birdseed with her. My brother wanted a business after that so he started to raise earthworms, can't remember if he ever sold any. My parents gave up the bird business after awhile and my brother the worms. My parents had something going on all the time, we raised and sold dogs, my mother would paint and sell her paintings and my dad had a full time job, after he retired they started to refinish antiques. We learned hard work but nothing compared to when they were growing up. One of my mothers sayings was "Can't Never Could Do Nothin" Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog design by Blogs by Sneaky Momma